While we all excitedly look forward to not just a new year but a new decade as well, Billboard is here to help us remember the highlights of the 2010s. Releasing their Top 100 EDM Moments of the 2010s was a perfect send-off for this incredible decade. Whether you’ve been in the scene since the start or have recently found your way to the world of EDM, you can agree that the 2010’s were our own musical revolution.
The 2010s were a defining decade that was set in motion not too long ago. Dance music has grown out of the underground subculture that the house and techno genres built in Chicago, Detroit and New York in the late 70s and 80s. All it took was time for technology to catch up to the EDM craze. By 2010 anyone with a laptop and a love of music could produce, giving talented and hard working artists the chance to make their mark. Technological advancements gave artists the ability to share music, build fanbases and larger digital communities that helped the industry expand like never before.
Take a nostalgic trip and check out Billboard’s Top 10 EDM Moment’s of the 2010s below:
1. The rise and fall of Avicii
2. “EDM” becomes dance music shorthand, and not without controversy
3. Swedish House Mafia’s One Last Tour (2012-2013)
4. Skrillex launches American dubstep
5. The emergence of Disclosure’s “Latch”
6. Deadmau5’s ‘We All Hit Play’ post (2012)
7. “Harlem Shake” goes viral (2013)
8. Live Nation buys Cream Holdings, Insomniac Events and HARD Events (2012)
9. The Las Vegas residency wars
10. SFX declares bankruptcy (2016)
Get all the latest Pacific Northwest nightlife news, directly to your inbox.